Clinical Research Trials - Benefits and Risks
Benefits and Risks of Participating in Clinical Trials
Before you get involved in a clinical trial, it's important to consult with your doctor and consider the following:
- Who is sponsoring the trial?
- Will I have to pay to participate?
- Will I be compensated for my participation?
- What kinds of treatments, procedures and/or tests will I have during the trial? Will they be painful or uncomfortable?
- How long will the study last?
- Will I be able to take my regular medications during the trial? What medications, procedures or treatments must I avoid while in the study?
- What will be my responsibilities during the study?
- What are the risks and benefits, both immediate and long term?
- Can I remain on this treatment even after the trial is over?